Nov 7, 2010

Persil

I’ve seen this laundry powder ad in the shopping mall a lot lately. It shows two tee-shirts. On the Persil side the tee is spotless. On the cheaper brand side the stain is still clearly visible.

There’s a lot that us sinful humans use to try and cover up our sin stains before God. Good works being the most tested thing I’m sure. How many times have you heard in a conversation about God that “I’m OK because God will look at my heart and see that my intentions have been good and I’ve tried to do the right thing”?. OK maybe a straw-man but I know I’ve had days when I’ve felt like I’ve done pretty well and that I didn’t need a Saviour to get me through. The fact that I’ve just fallen for one of the classic sins: self righteousness, does not even enter my head. 

If you and I are honest when we look at God’s laws we are stained through and through with sin. Only one thing is able to get us clean again in God’s sight: a perfect sacrifice on our behalf. Jesus provided us with that at the Cross. His blood is the genuine article, the perfect “Persil” to wash us white as snow.

“Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim;
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.”

Jesus Paid it All
Elvina M. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment